OKAY date nut pinwheels have forever been my fave Christmas cookie and this year I’ve made my best decision yet in healthifying these bitches. Huge shout out to The Toasted Pine Nut for her delish egg, refined sugar, gluten, and dairy free cookie dough (borrowed from her Gluten Free Cinnamon Swirl Cookie Recipe) that I used for this recipe and just switched up the filling.
K that’s really all I need to say here cuz these tasty lil treats speak for themselves. So I’m gonna get back to spending time with my family now, but ENJOY and have a very happy holidays!!!!
Healthified Dairy, Gluten, and Refined Sugar Free Date-Nut Pinwheels
- The Toasted Pine Nut’s Gluten-Free Dough
- ¾ cup ghee
- ½ cup raw honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 cups almond flour
- ¼ cup tapioca flour
- ¾ pound soft medjool dates, pitted and chopped
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- Add your ghee, honey, and vanilla together in a bowl and whisk until well combined.
- Add in the almond flour and tapioca flour and thoroughly combine until a dough forms.
- Dump the dough out onto a piece of wax or parchment paper and place another piece on top. Roll out the dough until it’s an even sheet about ¼ inch thick.
- Place in the freezer to set for at least 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine all ingredients for the date-nut filling in a saucepan and heat over low heat, stirring continuously until a thick paste forms. Remove from heat.
- Using a spatula, spread the date filling in an even layer over the dough.
- Using the parchment or wax paper to help you, carefully roll the dough until you have a round log.
- Roll the log in wax or parchment paper and refrigerate for an hour.
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Remove your log from the fridge and slice it into cookies about ½ inch thick. Place them on your lined baking sheet and cook until they start to get a golden color, about 12-15 minutes.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes then enjoy!