Healthy Caramel Coconut Dark Chocolate Candy Bars

Healthy Candy Bars

Growing up, I was never really that into candy bars for some odd reason. Don’t get me wrong, I basically have the biggest sweet tooth of all time, but candy bars were never really my thing. Weird, I know. I was always more of an ice cream or cookie kind of sweets lover. But every so often I’d get a craving for one, and 90% of the time I’d reach for a Milky Way. And the other 10% of the time I’d reach for a Reese’s Cup, but that’s irrelevant for now.

SO, the other night I was loafing around my apartment while my boyfriend was out of town, bored and hungry (as per usual when he’s gone), and I was struck with an irresistible urge for candy. Seriously, this never happens. And it was absolutely freezing outside so there was zero chance I was leaving my apartment to get candy. I had to come up with something, and I had to do it quick.

Some items I happened to have on hand:

  • dark chocolate
  • dates
  • coconut butter
  • peanut butter
  • nuts of all kinds

Okay, I could work with that. My tastes buds (aka my unrelenting desire to consume some sweet candy) took control, and before I knew it I was sitting on the floor watching Brooklyn Nine Nine, fingers covered in chocolate and my stomach full of 3+ candy bars. And I was happy. Ohhhh soooo happy.

And I could go on and on about the individual health benefits of each ingredient in this recipe, but instead I’m going to compare my amazing, wonderful, magical bars of delight to your typical store-bought candy bar.

Store-bought candy bars: full of sugar, unhealthy fat, chemicals, preservatives, unnatural ingredients, and guilt.

My candy bars: no refined sugars, healthy fats, natural ingredients, vitamins, minerals, fiber, and GUILT-FREE (and a ton of other wonderful health benefits).

Oh, and did I mention how AMAZING they taste? Like, I could eat every last bar myself and still be craving more. Mmmmmmm and it makes them taste so much sweeter knowing I’m not putting poison into my body just to satisfy a craving. There’s really so many ways to satisfy a sweet tooth without actually putting bad ingredients into your body! Food is just so cool. So next time you’re hit with a candy craving, no need to drive to the closest Dollarama, just grab out these ingredients, whip up your own batch, and impress all your friends with your crazy candy-making skills.

Healthy Caramel Coconut Dark Chocolate Candy Bars

  • Servings: 8 small bars
  • Difficulty: easy
  • Print



  1. In a food processor, combine your dates and peanut butter. Blend until combined and smooth.
  2. Remove the filling from the food processor and add in your nuts and set aside.
  3. Using a non-stick baking pan, spread an even layer of your coconut butter out until it’s about ½ inch thick in all areas. Then, spread the mixture you made in steps 1 and 2 in an even layer on top of your coconut butter. Place it in the freezer for about 15-30 minutes to harden.
  4. in a microwave safe bowl, place your unsweetened dark chocolate and begin to melt in 20-30 second increments. Once it’s melted, stir in the coconut oil and stevia.
  5. Remove your candy bars from the freezer and remove them from the pan. They should be very frozen and hard at this point. Cut the block into 8 equal sized bars.
  6. Dip your bars in the melted chocolate and place them on a sheet of parchment paper to cool.
  7. Sprinkle with sea salt to finish and store in the refrigerator for up to a week. Serve at room temperature.

Leave a Reply